Go Back   Sports Betting Forum > Sports Handicapping Forum > Soccer Betting

User Name
Password Register

Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Reinforcement For West Ham

By Tim Robertson
Inspin.com/WagerWeb.com Contributing Writer

West Ham’s £5 million signing of Luis Boa Morte from Fulham last week suggested a club with real ambition, but it was this week’s business which told the true story of the Hammers’ situation.

Alan Curbishley got the cheque book out again to complete a £1.75 million deal for Nigel Quashie from West Bromwich Albion. Quashie, 28, has been relegated from the Premiership in back-to-back seasons, with Southampton in 2005 and then West Brom last season.

Can he make it third time lucky in East London?

Clearly, Curbishley feels it was not Quashie’s fault that his previous two clubs dropped into the Championship. But that sinking feeling has followed the Scotland international throughout his career – he has in fact dropped out of the Premiership four times in his career -- having been relegated with Queen’s Park Rangers as a youngster in 1995-96, and with Nottingham Forest three years later.

Quashie has left a promotion race with West Brom to battle the drop in East London, and he knows he faces a tough task, starting with Saturday's match against Fulham (WagerWeb.com lists West Ham at +110).

Curbishley’s honeymoon period was in full force after his December appointment took in a rare defeat of Manchester United, but it is over already, as last week’s 6-0 hammering at Reading confirmed.

"Of course it has not been a great season so far, but this team should not be in the position it is in -- and I believe it is only a matter of time before we push ourselves up the table," Quashie said.

"It is going to require sheer hard work and everyone realises exactly where we are, but there is a lot to be positive about.

"I am under no illusions about the task ahead, but throughout my career, I have faced certain challenges and met them all in the same way -- by trying to do the very best I can and giving as much commitment and determination as possible."

Quashie will add experience to what is a young squad -- one that Curbishley is determined not to break up despite speculation over a number of his players’ futures.

"There are some fantastic young players here, and I am looking forward to playing alongside them and hopefully passing on some experience," Quashie added.

"Nothing would give me more pleasure than to help these young lads keep the club in the Premiership and then see them to go on and reach the very top.

"I do feel that I have perhaps got more desire and hunger in me now than when I was a lot younger -- and I am determined to establish myself as a Premiership player.

"The easier option would have been to stay at West Brom and try to keep us up there in the Championship with a chance of promotion.

"But I looked at the situation here and saw it as a club who can go on to bigger and better things in the future if we can stay in the Premiership this year.

"I am now looking forward to being a part of the club, getting out on the pitch, and getting my foot in to try and help us out of this position."

Quashie’s arrival puts a question mark over the futures of Nigel Reo-Coker and Javier Mascherano at Upton Park as the West Ham midfield becomes ever more crowded. Club captain Reo-Coker has been dogged by off-field problems this season, and has been used as a scapegoat by many for the club’s problems, while Mascherano has publicly said he wants to leave the club after struggling since his move from Brazil.

The pair are among West Ham’s most talented players, and -- if they were to leave -- Quashie faces the prospect of yet another relegation.

WagerWeb Soccer