Go Back   Sports Betting Forum > Sports Handicapping Forum > Soccer Betting

User Name
Password Register

Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Mourinho's Future

By Tim Robertson
Inspin.com/WagerWeb.com Contributing Writer

Could Jose Mourinho’s spell as Chelsea boss be nearing an end?

The Blues may be second in the Premiership, progressing nicely in Europe and still in both domestic cups, but there is enough going wrong at Stamford Bridge to constitute a crisis in Chelsea’s surreal world.

That has led to speculation about Mourinho’s future, and the Portuguese coach has done nothing to dampen the rumours in recent days.

The latest setback was Wednesday night’s 1-1 draw with lowly Wycombe in the Carling Cup semifinal first leg.

It is hardly a major problem – Chelsea will surely see off the Wanderers in the return leg in two weeks, but the result added to a sense that the Blues are drifting this season after domestic domination since Mourinho arrived two years ago.

Now the coach has hit out at the club’s board, claiming they are failing to back him up in the transfer market as he tries to patch up his injury-hit defence.

“I’ve identified the players that I want, but they will not come,” he said. “It’s club reasons, and I don’t have to tell you why.

“I have asked for players, and it’s not my choice that no one is coming.”

Mourinho’s complaints might seem a bit rich (forgive the pun) given the vast sums he has been allowed to spend in his time in West London, and that only adds to the suspicion that he might be preparing an exit strategy for himself.

Rumours are already rife that club owner Roman Abramovich will turn to his friend Guus Hiddink -- currently Russia coach -- to replace Mourinho.

When asked directly about his future, Mourinho was vague.

"My position is not important," he said. "What is important is Chelsea, not me, and Chelsea are in a good position -- almost in the final of Carling Cup, the last 16 of the Champions League, the fourth round of the FA Cup and second in the league.

"That is the way I have worked all my career. I'm not important, it is the club."

Of course, there is another explanation for Mourinho’s antics. The often-controversial boss has always found a way to steal the media limelight at difficult times for his club -- neatly taking pressure off his players until they get through any difficult period in the season.

But with talk of dressing-room unrest already coming out of the Bridge, raising question marks over his own future hardly seems like the best way of settling his players’ nerves.

There was another setback for Mourinho this week when it was confirmed that hopes of an early return for captain John Terry had been dashed.

Chelsea had claimed that original estimates of a 4-6 week layoff for Terry following back surgery were a worst-case scenario, but he has already been ruled out of this weekend’s clash with Wigan and seems some way off a return.

“John had surgery, he is recovering from that, but he is not ready yet,” Mourinho said.

"We have a lot of problems, because Ashley Cole and Claude Makelele face suspensions, and I do not see Terry back. There is no timescale on John. The only thing I know for sure is that he will not play against Wigan on Saturday.

"I am not a doctor. John is not fit to train with the group. He is not in my collective sessions yet, so he is out for the weekend."

Even without Terry, Cole and Makelele, Chelsea are still overwhelming favourites for the game at -588 on WagerWeb.com, but the odds hide the reality. All is not well at Stamford Bridge.

WagerWeb Soccer