Go Back   Sports Betting Forum > Sports Handicapping Forum > Soccer Betting

User Name
Password Register

Old 01-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Dominant Inter Milan

By Tim Robertson
Inspin.com/WagerWeb.com Contributing Writer

There will be no need for an asterisk next to the name of this season’s Serie A champions.

Just a year after Roma set a new Serie A record for consecutive wins, Internazionale broke it on Saturday by clocking up No. 12 with a 3-1 victory at Torino.

Inter are officially the reigning champions this season, having been handed the 2005-06 crown by the disciplinary panel that stripped Juventus of it during the match-fixing investigation.

There will be no need for such charity this season.

Their record run underlines the fact that, while they might be taking advantage of the absence of Juve and the troubles of AC Milan as they march towards the title, Inter are doing it in some style.

Perhaps if Inter were locked in a tight battle with Roma, rivals would be able to look back on this season and say they only won the title because the path was cleared for them. But this current run is all the evidence they will need to declare themselves worthy winners no matter the circumstances.

Coach Roberto Mancini tried to keep celebrations to a minimum after the game, simply saying: "With the boys we have never mentioned it. These three points are very important because it can lead us to prestigious targets. Only then can you celebrate records.”

However, there was more than just a record to celebrate for Inter.

They may as well present them with the Scudetto already, because on Saturday we saw Brazil striker Adriano back to his best.

The forward scored the first goal and the earned the penalty which allowed Marco Materazzi to lock up the win in the second half.

Having Adriano back to form is the equivalent of Inter having used the winter break to add a world-class striker to their squad.

He has played little to no role in their season so far, having suffered personal difficulties after a poor World Cup.

He was given a leave of absence by the club and returned to Brazil to get himself sorted out.

That break now looks like it will pay off for Inter.

"I remember the difficult time I went through, but I'm scoring now and this makes me happy and makes me smile,” Adriano said. "I want to work hard to continue like this and continue to be useful to the team. The most important thing now is to be at the service of the coach and the whole squad."

Inter’s achievements are helping Serie A put the scandal of last summer’s match-fixing investigation in the past.

They can put another nail in the coffin of that sad affair on Sunday when they host one of the clubs which was involved, Fiorentina.

WagerWeb.com has Inter as overwhelming favourites at -225, while the Viola are offered +550. Fiorentina are better than their 14th place suggests – they would be fourth had they not been docked 15 points for past misdemeanours, but Inter are unbeaten at home, having dropped only two points at the San Siro all season.

Expect Inter to make it lucky 13 on Sunday, and keep rolling towards a title that is already theirs for the taking.

WagerWeb Soccer