Go Back   Sports Betting Forum > Sports Handicapping Forum > NBA Betting

User Name
Password Register

Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM

Default Team USA wins Group D

Well this isn't the Dream Team, but they are winning. Barely.
From the Australian AP:

US silences trash talkers

From Jim Slater in Sapporo, Japan
August 24, 2006

FACED with a humbling loss from a trash-talking rival, the United States has rallied to beat Italy 94-85 at the world basketball championships.

Carmelo Anthony, of Denver Nuggets, scored 19 of his game-high 35 points in the third quarter to ignite a comeback after the Europeans seized a 45-36 half-time lead.
"In the first half, we could have easily folded," said Anthony. "In the locker room I looked in everybody's eyes. No one had given up. Everybody was on the same page.
"We got together at half-time and said, 'It's either this or nothing.'
"In the second half we picked it up defensively and I think that was the turning point of the game."
The Americans had won their first three games by an average of more than 20 points, while the Italians were forced to rally in the fourth quarter three times but fought back to win each time.
"We came into this game thinking we can be up 25 and they were almost up 25," said Anthony. "That's the toughest international game we've had so far."
The National Basketball Association stars, who also got 26 points from Miami Heat star guard Dwyane Wade, paid the price for underestimating Italy, which could earn a rematch later in the play-off rounds that open on Saturday at Saitama.
"I hope to meet them again at Saitama," said Italy coach Carlo Recalcati.
Marco Belinelli, who led Italy with 23 points, hit a three-point play to give his side its largest lead at 48-36 just 15 seconds into the second half.
"They got us playing a lot of one-on-one. It was mostly Italy that put us in that position," said US coach Mike Krzyzewski.
The US answered with a lightning run of 17-4 over the next four minutes.
Wade scored 10 points in the streak, including the fast-break, slam dunk that lifted the Americans back in front, 53-52, and Anthony caught fire in a 15-6 US run that brought a 71-64 US edge entering the fourth quarter.
"I got a tip-in shot early in the third quarter," said Anthony said.
"I had been wanting one of those the whole tournament. That was kind of what got me going. I knew when I got going outside it would open it up inside for the other guys."
The intense third quarter saw it's share of trash-talking, notably from Matteo Soragna to Wade.
"He said, 'You are no Michael Jordan. There is only one Michael Jordan.' (Wade) said, 'Thanks for the complement,"' said Anthony.
"There was some trash talking in there. We both wanted to win this. There was nothing personal in there."
The Italians, who took a silver medal at the Athens Olympics while the US won bronze, stayed within 76-72 until Wade touched off a 14-4 run for a 90-76 US lead with four minutes to go, sealing Italy's fate.
As the Group D winner, the US will face the last qualifying team from Group C – likely Lithuania, Brazil or Australia – in Saitama on Sunday in a round of 16 knockout game.
Italy, 3-1, must beat Puerto Rico today to claim the second seed.